Fayetteville, NC

i have a stye and a chalazion on the same eye lid (1 inch apart) , should i go ahead treat the stye with warm compresses while it's still just a stye?

Dr. Nazhat Sharma
Ophthalmology 58 years experience
Stye can be painful : Hot compress will help both conditions. However a stye is painful since it is an infection in the root of the eyelash follicle removing the eyelash should relieve the pain and hot compress will resolve the swelling along with some topical antibiotic. Chalazion not painful also needs hot compress and if not resolved will need to be dealt with by your Ophthalmologist.
Dr. Stan Coleman
Ophthalmology 63 years experience
Chalazion: they are probably both chalazia. Warm compresses are indicated for both. Sometimes systemic antibiotics such as doxycycline are indicated when the chalazion remains inspite of heat or are recurrent. Sometimes a minor surgical procedure is indicated.