Austin, TX
A 34-year-old male asked about a 34-year-old female:

I had three metacarpals fractured one almost broken all the way through and set in the cast one of my fingers has constant pain is this normal?

Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Emergency Medicine 28 years experience
Cast: It is normal to have pain with broken bones but if this pain is new you need to call your orthopedist. There may be a problem with the cast. Make sure you elevate your hand, rest it on pillows above the level of your heart. If this alleviates your pain, it may have just been due to swelling, if the pain persists you need to be seen.
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Plastic Surgery 46 years experience
"Constat pain" are very troubling words. Only repeat examination and X-rays can possibly answer why...
Apr 14, 2015

Last updated Apr 14, 2015