i fracture my metacarpal, index finger i went to the doctor they took x-ray they told me that they gave me medicine and told me i have to go with a specialist they put cast on one side and i was wondering do i have to go or could it heled itself?

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
I : I assume you have a fracture or bad sprain and you are splinted odds are it is not definitive treatment and you need to follow up in order to get adequate treatment it's not enough to just heal you want to heal correctly that is a very typical scenario.
Dr. Monica Wood
Hand Surgery 28 years experience
While : While fractures of the small finger metacarpal are quite common and only rarely cause problems, this does not apply to the index finger. We divide the hand into 2 segments--a mobile unit with the ring and small finger and a "fixed" unit with the index and middle fingers. There is less "play" in the joints to the index and middle fingers and therefore they tolerate less deformity. It also takes a lot more energy to break the index finger metacarpal than the other ones. That said, you have a risk of healing in a shortened or rotated position that can affect grip strength or cause the fingers to overlap. A good hand surgeon will evaluate the clinical as well as radiographic deformity. That is--some deformity will not show up on the x-rays and may only show up by moving and examining the hand. You should definitely see a specialist for this particular injury.
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Zahid Niazi commented
Cosmetic Surgery 39 years experience
Agree with Dr Wood. Your PCP has started you on the interim treatment till your Hand specialist gets to evaluate and treat you definitively. See a Hand surgeon soon.
Nov 11, 2013