Israel

I had surgery 6 m ago umbilical hernia there is a hard lump in my left side off the belly button ?

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care 26 years experience
New or old?: Is this lump new or has it been there since surgery? If since sx has it been getting smaller? Or, if new, is the lump growing? Possibilities include scar tissue or mesh from the hernia surgery that may be palpable now that the swelling has gone down. If new or growing you may have an early recurrance (rare). See your surgeon for an exam, he/she should be able to help you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Henry
General Surgery 13 years experience
Scar, mesh, hernia?: The hard lump could possibly be scar tissue, or the hernia may have recurred (come back), or it could be mesh or the knot of a suture. If the bulge is painful and gets larger when you strain your abdominal muscles, then the hernia may have come back (not likely, though possible). Your surgeon or a physician can examine the lump and let you know which they think it is.
Dr. Elias Chousleb Mizrahi
Bariatrics 21 years experience
Hernia: Wounds may feel hard for several months after surgery while wounds remodel. However you should get checked for a possible recurrence.
Last updated Dec 5, 2020