United Kingdom

I have a very tiny umbilical hernia in my belly button less than 1cm in diameter. will i need surgery?

Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 35 years experience
Maybe...: The two reasons to have a hernia operation (provided that you are in good enough health to tolerate elective surgery) are: 1-if there is a risk of intestine getting "stuck" in the hernia, and/or; 2-if pain from the hernia is interfering w/your quality of life. A hernia as small as yours should have little-to-no chance of problem #1, although the hernia can get larger in time.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Earle
General Surgery 32 years experience
Up to you: In general, if it is enlarging or causing symptoms , particularly if they are progressive and limiting you activity, you should have it fixed. Sounds ok to safely observe for now.
Dr. David Henry
General Surgery 13 years experience
Maybe not: If the hernia gets larger or causes much pain, then you should have it fixed. Since it does not seem that there are intestines caught in the hernia, then it is probably ok not to have surgery now. It would be best if a doctor examined the hernia in person.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016