Total hysterectomy at 32 for bilateral dermoid cysts. on estradiol hrt. told its safe and no breast cancer risk with estrogen only? is this true?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Sewa Legha answered

Specializes in Medical Oncology

Yes it is safe: Estrogens in small physiologic doses in younger womem are safe and do not increase the risk of breast Cancer. After 50 years of age(HRT) does carry a small risk of breast cancer but that happens mostly in women who were also taking progestational hormones to stop their menses. I think you are safe until 50. Then you should get an annual screening mammogram done starting at age 40 years.

Answered 11/18/2017

3.2k views

Dr. Claudette Anderson answered

Specializes in Gynecology

I would agree: Your surgeon ie breast surgeon ,if you had one may not agree.I would say that at this point in your life the benefits outweigh the risks,especially if you don't have a breAst cancer history in your family.The problem with having surgical menopause at such a young age , is genitourinary atrophy and bone loss.It also affects libido

Answered 11/18/2017

3.2k views

Dr. Myron Arlen answered

Specializes in Surgical Oncology

Yes: As mentioned, only carcinogens and viruses can lead to breast cancer. The use of hormone does not induce breast cancer but can lead to progression of an existing lesion, DCIS in particular.

Answered 11/18/2017

3.2k views