whats uric acid?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Metabolis by-product: Uric acid is formed in the process of metabolism of proteins by the body. It can also form with high cellular turnover in persons undergoing chemotherapy or treatment for cancer. Uric acid can get to high levels and precipitate out in the body in joints, soft tissues and in the kidneys to give "gout". Medications, diet, hydration are the treatments.
Dr. John Goldman
Rheumatology 55 years experience
Chemical Purine Met: Uric acid is a breakdown product of chemical reaction in the body related to substances called purines. The purines undergo chemical breakdown as part of their usual metabolism and uric acid is one of the these breakdown products. It circulates in the blood and is excreted in the urine. In gout its blood level is increased and it can develop urate crystals in the tissue and joints in gout.