What is uric acid?

Dr. Allison Greco
Dr. Allison Grecoanswered
General Practice 10 years experience
Protein Waste: Uric acid is a normal byproduct of proteins & other biological molecules. If there is too much uric acid in your body, it can accumulate crystals in your joints & cause a type of arthritis called "gout." your doctor can measure the uric acid in your blood or take a sample from your joints to determine if you have gout. Medications & dietary changes can help decrease your uric acid level.
Dr. Bruce Rothschild
Rheumatology 49 years experience
DNA detritus: Actually, uric acid is the waste product of dna.
Dr. Sewa Legha
Medical Oncology 51 years experience
Chemical in Ur Blood: Uric acid is a chemical produced in the human body and filtered out by kidneys via the urine. It is relatively harmless unless the blood level is high(>7mg/dl). In that case it can cause kidney damage. Also the uric acid tends to deposit into the Joints where it can cause a painful type of Arthritis called Gout. tell us why you asked this question?....that way we can be more helpful to you.