i have sharp pains in temple, jaw clicking, pain radiates up side of face, into ear and back of head. sometimes a "toothache". could this be tmj?

Dr. Howard Schneider
Pediatric Dentistry 34 years experience
TMJ dysfunction: The muscles and ligaments that cause your jaw to move are not working smoothly. If you chew gum stop. Eat softer foods next 2-3 weeks. Apply moist heat to the joint area. Stress plays a big role in triggering TMJ problems. Find activities to help reduce your stress level. See your dentist for more detailed help.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
Yes, TMJ syndrome: Temporo-mandibular syndrome is the second most frequent cause of orofacial pain after dental pain. Headache, earache, sinus pain, neck pain and jaw pain are the common symptoms. Proper diagnosis is the key to successful treatment. See Orofacial Pain practitioner for a consultation and treatment options.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Sounds like TMJ: Sounds like TMj. See a TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.