U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Scooba, MS
A 48-year-old female asked:

47 yof.i been having a real sharp pain on the right side of my head 2" from my ear.my dentist said its my tmj.its a real bad pain last just a few sec.

4 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Stephen Rothstein
A Verified Doctoranswered
40 years experience
Pain: May be from your jaw joint or referred dental less likely from inflammation of the temporal artery. Start by seeing your dentist
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Dr R: Most dentists know less about TMJ than you do. Send the patient to an oral surgon or local TMJ expert.
Mar 20, 2015
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Possibly: An occlusal orthotic may give relief. Cause of symptoms has to be found and treated. If you have a malocclusion you will need to see an Orthodontist. If joint damaged you will need to see Oral Surgeon. Be proactive, seek diagnosis to determine treatment plan.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Maybe: Perhaps. See a TMJ expert for confirmation. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
TMJ medical disorder: Any TMJ must be viewed as a valid medical disorder and the TMJ assessment must be comprehensive. See Orofacial Pain specialist for evaluation, tests, imaging and treatment options.
Last updated Mar 20, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.