India

does my lipid panel below need to get better: total cholesterol: 178 hdl: 42 ldl: 115 trig:106 vldl:21?

Dr. Gopinath Upamaka
Cardiology 39 years experience
Yes: Your cardiovascular risk depends on your age , presence of diabetes , high blood pressure and family history of heart disease. Also smoking. If u have more than 2 of these risk factors then aim for an LDL of less than 100.
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Cardiology 51 years experience
Lipids: Lipids are one of many risk factors. If you have no other risk factors the levels may be ok. If you have diabetes, hypertension, smoking and/or other risks, the levels should be much lower.
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
No, unless...: This depends on other risk factors but esp. Depends on the particle subtypes- if your LDL is mostly small dense instead of light buoyant that would be good to address, otherwise it looks good. The role of cholesterol is over-rated & too low can be dangerous. See http://www.Cbn.Com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/october/cholesterol-myth-what-really-causes-heart-disease/ and my comment for more links.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Provided original answer
Mar 17, 2013
Dr. William Cromwell
Clinical Lipidology 34 years experience
Depends on Particles: Both labs and risk factors are important in knowing cardiovascular (cvd) risk. More than cholesterol, cvd is related to the number of LDL (ldl-p) and HDL particles (hdl-p). Because cholesterol in LDL and HDL particles is highly variable cholesterol levels often disagree with particle number. When cholesterol and particle number disagree cvd risk tracks with ldl-p and hdl-p, not ldl-c or hdl-c.