U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 36-year-old member asked:

When to return to play after an ankle sprain.?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marybeth Crane
Podiatry 28 years experience
Depends: A bad ankle sprain can take 6-8 weeks to rehab. Physical therapy is the key to a good outcome. Don't risk long term instability. Rehab the injury and the pt will let you know when you can go back to sports.
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery 33 years experience
Progressive return: Once your pain & swelling is under control, you regain full range of motion & strength... You can use a home exercise program in many cases (band exercises, stretching, and balance) to help with the early stages of recovery, but as you return to sport (w/ brace) you should make sure you are able to perform the basics, before you try to fully practice/ play. If pain persists see md & have an x-ray.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat commented
Podiatry 23 years experience
You should return when you and your doctor agree that you are ready.
Mar 15, 2013

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 41-year-old member asked:

Could it be okay for me to return to playing basketball after my ankle sprain?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kent
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine 13 years experience
Most likely: But it depends how bad the sprain was and when it occurred. There is too many variables to say for sure, but most people with ankle sprains will be able to return to activity once healed.
Last updated Jan 1, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.