what should i do? i was playing soccer when my friend tripped me. i then fell on my ankle, which is the one that i sprained four months ago. i can't walk on it, or put any weight on it. i don't know if i should use crutches or not! please help!

I : I recommend that you let your parents know what has happened. I recommend that you be seen by a medical provider to determine the extent of damage to your ankle. In the mean time, rest your foot and ankle, . Your parents can provide you with a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication like motrin, or if they don't have this type of medication, tylenol (acetaminophen) can help the pain. It would be helpful for you to elevate your foot. Prop it up on soft pillows to help prevent swelling. Icing it can also help. Do you have a bag of frozen peas or corn in your fridge - this can be used without cutting open the bag. Can put on your ankle for 15 minutes several times a day. A light bandage can be used for gentle (never overly tight) compression. I recommend that you get your parent's help with this.
Dr. Michael Lee
Sports Medicine 18 years experience
If : If you have so much pain that you can't put weight on your ankle, i'd recommend crutches. If it is not getting better then i would recommend an x-ray to look for a fracture. If the x-ray is negative you should try a walking boot for a few weeks.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016