U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hood River, OR
A 55-year-old female asked:

Male 55 healthy/active prostate cancer, scheduled for rp, psa 6.5 biopsies 6of8 pos 2aggessive, gleason 7. are there other options to consider other than surg. ct and bone scan clear. ?

5 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 45 years experience
Yes but: Alternatives are external beam radiation and radiation seeds (brachytherapy). At your age, conservative (watching) isn't advised. All of the therapies can cause urinary incontinence and e.D. - with surgery, they get better over time for most. With radiation, they get worse over time. Surgery is the time honored best of a bad situation. Good luck.
Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Chad Levitt commented
Radiation Oncology 23 years experience
Need to be cautious about statements like surgery is best option since its never been shown to have a higher cure rate than radiotherapy.
Feb 11, 2013
Dr. Chad Levitt
Dr. Chad Levitt commented
Radiation Oncology 23 years experience
No urinary incontinence common with radiotherapy. All men in your situation need to discuss all standard options. Pros and cons to each.
Feb 11, 2013
Dr. James Krick
Urology 37 years experience
Prostate cancer: Due to the number of cores positive, your gleason score of 7 and your young age, it is recommended that you have definitive treatment. There are options to radical prostatectomy. If these have not been offered to you by your urologist, you may want to consider a second opinion.
Dr. Chad Levitt
Radiation Oncology 23 years experience
Radiotherapy options: This is an intermediate risk prostate cancer with a fairly big burden of disease. Risk of extra capsular spread is significant, refer to newest partin tables. External radiation, brachytherapy or a combination with or without androgen suppression are real and viable options. Efficacy across board should b similar but side effect profile and intuition are different. U need to know all options.
Dr. Fidias De Leon
Nuclear Medicine 22 years experience
See below: I would suggest to discuss alternatives with the doctor that recommended rp. Other option s could include radiation, radioactive seed implantation. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!
Dr. Brian Lane
Dr. Brian Lane commented
Urology 20 years experience
Surgery is a good option for you, but there are other options to consider as well, including external radiation and brachytherapy (seeds). A good resource for more info is a booklet called "Making the Choice" made available by the Michigan Cancer Consortium at: http://www.prostatecancerdecision.org/PDFs/Booklet/Making_The_Choice-English-06.07.12.pdf
Mar 27, 2013
Dr. Richard Sarle
Urology 23 years experience
Treatment: Given his intermediate level of disease i agree with surgery in a healthy 55 yo. Options of radiation too, but i agree that surgery first gives more options for additional tax if disease is found to be worse.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 24, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.