what is latest age for good results from first facelift? is it worth the risk then?

32 doctor answers
Dr. Caryl Mussenden
46 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
FACELIFT AGE LIMIT?: This is a questions that cannot be answered based on age. A person's face and skin needs to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon who can make this assessment. If you have the interest, get 2 opinions. Make sure you see that physician's before and after pictures. There may be non surgical methods as well that can improve your skin.
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
6
Dr. Mike Bowman
19 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Health over age: There isn't an age limit...General health concerns are more important than age. I might not offer an procedure to a 50 year with overall poor health. Conversely, a patient in their 70's with good health and realistic expectations would be a great candidate. A consultation with a qualified facial plastic surgeon will get you recommendations to achieve your goals. Best wishes!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
2
Dr. Robert Buchanan
52 years experience Plastic Surgery
I have done a facelift on a lady in her upper 80's who was in excellent health. She did excellently and loved the results. She married a younger man a few years later.
Oct 6, 2013
Dr. Frederick Coville
39 years experience Plastic Surgery
You're never too old: Facelift surgery, if appropriate for you, has a lot to do with your overall health and the quality of your skin. The potential risk from the surgery itself is small relative to other types of surgery, and a facelift can always be done under local anesthesia. However, the older you get, more attention should be directed at getting your skin healthy first, then adding any surgery - better results.
Answered on Aug 6, 2013
3
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
21 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
No limits!: If you are in good health then you may be a candidate for a facelift. The results will depend on your anatomy and the quality of your skin. Ancillary procedures may help to augment a lift and also improve skin quality at the same time. Make sure you have realistic expectations and discuss the predicted outcome with your surgeon. Options exist for anesthesia so be informed about that as well.
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
1
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
No Limits!: If you are in good health then you may be a candidate for a facelift. The results will depend on your anatomy and the quality of your skin. Ancillary procedures may help to augment a lift and also improve skin quality at the same time. Make sure you have realistic expectations and discuss the predicted outcome with your surgeon. Options exist for anesthesia so be informed about that as well.
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
Dr. Tito Vasquez
25 years experience Plastic Surgery
None: Overall health and personal expectations are better indicators than age alone. There seems to be a greater trend toward having facelifts earlier in life than waiting until you are older. Depending on the the particular aging problems, it may be reasonable to address these with less risky types of facelift that provide dramatic results nonetheless.
Answered on Jan 28, 2016
3
3 comments
4
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
I often combine laser resurfacing around the mouth with my facelifts. I would not expect this to have any negative impact on a future facelift procedure. An exam will help to identify any potential issues with lifting. Best of luck!
Nov 23, 2011
Dr. Frederick Coville
39 years experience Plastic Surgery
If anything, it should enhance your results. However, if you still have fine wrinkles in that area, or around your mouth, you should probably have additional treatments to improve this. This may or may not involve lasers. That depends on what your surgeon is most comfortable offering you. A facelift will not, however, improve your chin wrinkles, ask a lot of questions to understand what is possibl
Nov 22, 2011
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman commented
hopefully it improved your skin, in which case it will afford a better facelift outcome.
Nov 22, 2011
Dr. Lawrence Ruf
52 years experience Plastic Surgery
Only relative limits: It is worthwhile to review dr. Pollard's comments with which i agree. My youngest patient for facelift was 34yoa with a severe congenital facial asymmetry & my oldest "1st timer" was 82yoa. Both were in good health for their age & both did well. By the way, neither of them smoked or used other tobacco products which reduce blood flow to tissues & risk tissue loss.
Answered on Oct 29, 2014
7
Dr. Lawrence Ruf
52 years experience Plastic Surgery
Universal facelift: "a rose is a rose is a rose" ignores each flower's uniqueness. Often patients present with a desire to "have the same thing done as my friend mary." they fail to realize that we are all made just a little, or a lot differently. Some have more fat, skin, sag, tan, wrinkles, muscle laxity, etc. Than others.This calls for the plastic surgeon to have experience with many different styles of facelift.
Answered on Feb 2, 2017
9
Dr. Gary Solomonm
42 years experience Plastic Surgery
None: There really is no latest age. There is always a benefit, as long as you are healthy medically.
Answered on Sep 10, 2012
6
Dr. Barry Press
44 years experience Plastic Surgery
No specific limit: Agree fully with dr. Pollard. But it is generally agreed that the older one is when he/she has a facelift, the longevity of the results will be less. I tell my patients over 70 and those with inelastic skin that their facelift may only last for a year or so. If they choose to proceed and they need a tightening after a year, i will do this without a surgeon's fee.
Answered on Apr 17, 2014
2
Dr. Eric Chang
22 years experience Plastic Surgery
Skin gets thinner: As we age, our skin gets thinner. So a facelift on someone who is 80 or 90 is more challenging. It can be done but not quite as robustly. Most people get a first facelift in their 50s to 60s. Sometimes earlier.
Answered on Nov 6, 2014
2
Dr. MICHAEL STORCH
52 years experience Plastic Surgery
General health: The key factor is one's overall state of health. Age is not the deciding factor. Medica clearance should generally be obtained prior to any such surgery.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
2
Dr. Otto Placik
34 years experience Plastic Surgery
No easy answer: There is no easy answer to this. It is an inverse relationship. The older you are then more work needs to be done. The younger you are the less work needs to be done. All other things being equal, a great facelift on a 90 year old will never look as good as a modest facelift in a 45 yearl old. Then there is everything else in between the two extremes!
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
34 years experience Plastic Surgery
Any age: You can have a facelift at any age if you are in good health. While there are always risks involved with surgery and anesthesia, these are usually minimal in a person in good health, so go for it!
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
2
Dr. David Sherris
33 years experience Facial Plastic Surgery
Depends on health: Facelift can be done at any age in an adult with excellent results. Yet, successful healing and results depend on the patient being in good health and being cleared medically for surgery.
Answered on Jul 20, 2012
Dr. Brock Ridenour
36 years experience Plastic Surgery
No age limit: Age is only one factor in deciding when to consider facelift surgery. Patients should be physically and emotionally healthy and be confident that a facelift operation will satisfy their goals and expectations when facelift surgery is performed in the early stages of aging, the result often appears more natural and lasts significantly longer. However, there is no cut -off age for facelift.
Answered on Jul 20, 2012
Dr. Francisco Agullo
20 years experience Plastic Surgery
None: A facelift can be performed at any age as long as you are in good health.
Answered on Jul 20, 2012
Dr. Robert Schnarrs
36 years experience Plastic Surgery
Medical : Facelift can be performed at any age i recommend after 60 medical clearance should be performed by your internist.
Answered on Jul 5, 2012
Dr. J David Holcomb
29 years experience Facial Plastic Surgery
Depends : Chronological age is less important than current health status. Certainly facial rejuvenation surgery is commonly performed on individual in their early to mid 80's but it can also be done safely even into the 90's. Risk can be reduced with appropriate anesthesia and procedure choices.
Answered on Jul 27, 2013
1
Dr. Barry Press
44 years experience Plastic Surgery
No definite limit: I have done a facelift on an 85 year-old. As a general rule, the older the patient, the shorter will be the benefit from a facelift because of loss of skin elasticity. I think there is minimum benefit from a facelift in most people before the age of 40. Also, the people we see with unnatural results from facelifts generally have had too many procedures, not necessarily bad ones.
Answered on Jan 5, 2019
Dr. David Sherris
Depends: If you are healthy and your medical doctor clears you after evaluation and testing there is no real age limit for facelift. See a surgeon to discuss your options!
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
Dr. Catherine Winslow
34 years experience Facial Plastic Surgery
"worth it" usually!: Risks of facelift depend on your overall health. The oldest person i lifted was a young 92 year-old! good results can be obtained at all ages based on your overall health. Visit a facial plastic surgeon to see what results are possible for you, and good luck!
Answered on Oct 23, 2017
3
Dr. Jeffrey Rosenthal
44 years experience Plastic Surgery
Health not age: It is best to evaluate a patient for a facelift in regard to their physiologic age or how healthy they are. Individuals across the age spectrum may have a facelift if the are in good shape.
Answered on Mar 20, 2013
Dr. Joseph Campanelli
Great result any age: My youngest patient was 38, my oldest 89 and they both had great results. The difference is that the technique used was entirely different in these two patients. Choose an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon who has the technical ability to customize the surgery to your aging pattern and you will be thrilled. Risks for a facelift are minimal.
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
2
Dr. Suzanne Galli
24 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Age for facelift: There is no specific age to have a facelift. Truly it depends on the patient's individual anatomy and surgical goals. Have your face evaluated by a board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon to determine what procedure is best for you.
Answered on Oct 31, 2014
Dr. Larry Nichter
36 years experience Cosmetic Surgery
Too Old for Facelift: As long as you are in good health it is not the chronological age but the physiological age that determines if you are "too old". I have done facelifts on several women in their 80's with great results. The risk is dependent mostly on other medical conditions present at the time of surgery.
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
Dr. Taylor Pollei
12 years experience Facial Plastic Surgery
No age limit: There is not age cutoff for facelift benefits. Primary facelift is done from age 40 to 90+, with extremely food results at all ages. It just depends on your state of health and your expectations. Whether it is worth the risk depends on how valuable the desired changes are to you.
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
2
Dr. Louis Gallia
45 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Any age.: If healthy, any age. See facial plastic surgeon for best results.
Answered on May 3, 2015
Dr. Brian Maloney
35 years experience Plastic Surgery
Latest Lift Age: The latest age for a lift depends on the patient's health. The oldest patient I performed a first time facelift on was 85. She had a family history of longevity and was in great health. She was able to feel so much better about her appearance.
Answered on Feb 3, 2016
Dr. Azita Madjidi
30 years experience Plastic Surgery
45 to 65: however, anatomy and skin quality are more important than age. I just did a facelift on a 79 year old with excellent skin and health. She looks 69.
Answered on Oct 22, 2015
1
Dr. Darryl Blinski
46 years experience Plastic Surgery
Kind of response! I classify Facial Rejuvenation in 2 ways: #1 Types of possible treatments. Which include 4 subdivisions: a. Non surgical as in fillers, Botox, peels, lasers, PRP. b. minimal surgical, as ThermiTight RF, Ultherapy, Thermage, fa grafting +{RP. c. Surgical i.e. mini FL, midi FL, Full FL. d. combination of those. The other classification is based solely upon surgical intervention.
Oct 22, 2015
Dr. Gustavo Diaz
30 years experience Facial Plastic Surgery
Health is important!: Age is only a number. The most important factor in order to consider a patient as a candidate for surgery is the overall health of that patient. If you keep yourself healthy, we can keep you looking young through the years. Consult with your Facial Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation. Hope this helps!
Answered on Jan 28, 2016
Dr. Robert Steely
28 years experience Plastic Surgery
Health not age: Good Afternoon! Age is not a contraindication to cosmetic surgery- general health is. I have 80 year olds in my practice that can run circles around most 50 year olds and have done exceedingly well with cosmetic facial surgery. As far as "waiting too long" until I have cosmetic facial surgery, improvements can be made at any age as long as general good health is there. I hope this helps
Answered on May 11, 2016