does laser teeth whitening whiten the inside of your teeth? at the dentist today, my dentist told me that the insides of my teeth are very stained. it might not be a problem unless i laugh or smile real big, but i'd like to get it taken care of if i can.

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funarianswered
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Typically : Typically staining of teeth is limited to the outer enamel which lends itself to"whitening" procedures which are variations of bleaching. Superficial stains may also be removed with a dental prophylaxis (cleaning by your hygienist). Beneath the outer layer of enamel of a tooth is a supporting material that is called dentin. Dentin is yellow in color. As we age, or with aggressive brushing, the outer enamel is worn which leads to exposure of this dentin. This will impart a yellow color to the teeth. This condition is not amenable to whitening procedures, instead some form of coverage, such as veneers are required to correct this yellowing. Be advised that the best veneers can also be stained if your are a heavy smoker, tea / coffee drinker or eat pigmented foods. You dentist should be able to recommend the best solution for your situation.
Dr. Kenny Abedini
Cosmetic Dentistry 23 years experience
Usually yes.: Teeth color comes from inside (center) of the teeth. Whitening gel goes inside the teeth thru small pores in the enamel. Then it whitens the discolored teeth all around. Some people have lots of plaque on their teeth. If there are stained plaque, that will go away with teeth cleaning...
Dr. Michael Dolby
Cosmetic Surgery 28 years experience
No!: Whitening your teeth with either the laser or conventional bleaching trays, the only genetic portion of the tooth that will whiten is the enamel. The next layer of the tooth is called dentin and this will certainly not brighten in color. Your dentist was more than likely referring to deep stains in the enamel that might not brighten as well. However other cosmetic procedures can fix this.
Dr. Mike Deldar
Cosmetic Dentistry 24 years experience
2nd openion: Find a dentist who do korr whitening procedure, it is much safer and better result.
Dr. Don Millner
Cosmetic Dentistry 43 years experience
KOrr whitening $$$: All peroxide whiteners work in the same manner. Their effectiveness is a result of strength/ freshness, application time (usually under twenty minutes) and frequency of application. Korr is a "system" that uses fresh high strength whitener chairside and a very rigid, patient home applications. I guess those who pay $$$$ are more vested in compliance? Korr is not safer or more effective.