i am 27 years old. is laser teeth whitening more effective if you're older? i asked my dentist about laser teeth whitening and he said that he didn't think i'd see much of a difference because of my age. i think my teeth are stained, but maybe they're not

Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
I : I don't think age is as important as other factors. The nature of the staining and the original starting shade influence the ability to whiten moreso if what you are being told is that your teeth are white enough then that's a different issue. You should decide if they are white enough. Even very white teeth can become lighter from the whitening process. There are no guarantees however because whitening affects each patient's teeth differently.
Dr. Neil McLeod
Prosthodontics 49 years experience
To : To day we are so used to seeing whitened teeth and bright veneers and crowns that we have an almost distorted view of what a natural attractive smile should be like. Frankly i think folks are overdoing it, but we serve them by giving them the smiles they want. I can not comment on whether your dentist was right or not, it sounds as though he was giving you his honest opinion and that there was not a lot of room for lightening (improvement) at the present time. Really dark and stained teeth do lighten dramatically, and as discoloration is something that happens with time, the argument could be made that whitening is more effective when you are older. Why don't you ask your dentist to discuss it with you again, and see if he can give you some perspective on what can be achieved and what is reasonable. Best wishes dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.
Dr. Kenny Abedini
Cosmetic Dentistry 23 years experience
No: As you get older, teeth stain become harder to remove. Your guess is right.
Dr. Michael Dolby
Cosmetic Surgery 28 years experience
27 is older?: Age can dictate the final outcome of teeth whitening but at age 27 that certainly dose not mean you! you are the only one that can make the determination if your teeth are not white enough. Don't give up, a great dentist in denver - dr. James makowski i'm sure can help you!