Teeth bothering me constantly. healthy checkups from denist but my teeth are always feeling as if they need flossing. flossing, 3 times a day tooth brushing, and waterpick daily and yet my teeth are constantly irritating me. healthy check ups, etc. i am

4 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Well, : Well, the good thing is your dentist told you you don't have any cavities or gum disease, so we can rule that out. From what you describe, you might have some very light contacts where food can get caught. The other possibility is that you are grinding your teeth during the day (and night) - jaws are tense by your own admission. This grinding may make your mouth not feel quite right. Talk to your dentist about the possibility of an occlusal guard if it is determined that you are grinding and see what he says.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Peter Certo answered

Specializes in Dentistry

I : I totally agree with the other 2 responses, but in addition, you may want to consider a second opinion.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Neil McLeod answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

I : I am chipping in here because i think there is room for a little more discussion between the doctors here. First of all drs. Edderai and danantzis have definitely hit on the clenching aspect of your complaint, and i completely endorse the recommendation that you wear an occlusal guard. I have some observations that i would like to make. Flossing three times a day is lot. I never like to discourage good home care habits but making sure you floss before retiring at night is essential. Next i want to address the brushing, are you that compulsive that you brush after every meal. We in the dental profession applaud you but might i suggest that if you are doing this, that you wait for a couple of hours after eating before picking up that brush. You see our food commonly etches the teeth, that means that the enamel itself is dissolved away slightly by what we eat and drink. The saliva in our mouths is a super saturated solution of calcium salts and it actually reconstitutes the teeth, yes makes the enamel grow back. It only does this when the exposed protein matrix of the enamel is still present. If you "rush to brush" you will remove the top exposed later of the enamel protein, and the result is that the tooth is a little thinner, and slightly on edge. I have.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Jean Edderai answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

According : According to your description it looks that you are suffering from bruxism, you are grinding your teeth mostly during day time, very common to have periodontitis with bruxism, looks like you have a stressful job... Lets try to focus on a temporary solution, a guard to be used during the day, so please call your dentist and tell him to make for you an occlusal guard, and very important to evaluate your occlusion for orthodontic treatment. Good luck!

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views