should i have a operation on my hernia the size of a grapefruit? i have very bad lungs, i have copd and on oxygen 24/7

This : This is a complex question. If you have a hernia that is not easily reducible with nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain - it may be very important to get a herniorraphy. I think that your general surgeon, your regular physician and the anesthesiologist need to look at this from a treatment team perspective and see what the risk from anesthesia is versus the risk of not getting surgery. That information should then be presented to you, so that you are able to make a well informed decision.
Dr. Matthew Majzun
Pulmonary Critical Care 14 years experience
See your doctor: Even patients with severe lung disease can have some surgeries...Your risk for complications depends on the type of surgery and the type of anesthesia used. You should consult your physician prior to any surgery, and you should consider seeing a lung doctor as well.

Last updated Jan 29, 2017