Can a frenectomy help improve how a child speaks? our 12 year old son is going to have a frenectomy performed on hi supper lip per his orthodontist's instructions. he's also always had a bit of a lisp, and i've been wondering if there's any chance this ki

8 doctors weighed in across 7 answers
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

It : It is unlikely that is the case. Usually a frenectomy is performed between the upper two front teeth to remove a thick attachment that may impede proper closure of the space. As dr. Mcleod mention, a lower frenectomy on the underside of the tongue to relieve "tongue-tie" is sometime recommended for speech improvements, not an upper.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Sam Kadan answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

A : A fenectomy of the upper lip is most likely not related to the lisp your son has. Lisps are more related to how he is "wired" than due to anatomical reasons, particularly in the case involving the frenum in the upper lip. The frenectomy might have been recommended by your orthodontist to improve the the appearance of the gums between the two front teeth and remove the muscle pull that is associated with a large frenum in that area, which tends to keep the front teeth separated. Please consult with your orthodontist and best luck!

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. LynAnn Mastaj answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Frenectomies : Frenectomies remove the tight attachment between the gums and the lip and also between the tongue and the floor of the mouth. I have seen improvement in mobility of the upper lip and tongue in these cases. Along with the frenectomy why dont you have your son see a speech therapist to help with myofunctional excercises (muscle excercises of the tongue, lips, cheeks, jaw) . You might see an improvement in lisp if he has a wider range of motion of his lip and he excercises it with a professional. Lynann mastaj, dmd.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.3k views

Dr. Neil McLeod answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

I : I do not think that it is likely that the labial frenectomy will improve his speak, that procedure in that location is for another orthodontic purpose, to allow the front tet to be pulled together without a gap. Now a lower lingual frenectomy might have some dramatic effects on improving lingual mobility, and consequently ease of positioning of the tongue during speech. Ask your doctor to explain again all the aspects and purposes for the treatment recommended dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Gary Chapman answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Orthodontics

No: A frenectomy aids the success of keeping the upper front teeth together once braces are removed. There will be no speech changes. See a speech pathologist for speech issues.

Answered 2/4/2013

5.3k views

Dr. S. jay Bowman answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Orthodontics

No: Speech is primarily a learned behavior. The frenectomy will have no effect on speech. Seek an opinion with a private speech pathologist for an evaluation and recommendations.

Answered 2/25/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Nope: Frenectomy is to remove excess connective tissue between upper front test. A problematic upper front frenum does not cause a lisp. If your child has a large horizontal overbite or an open bite or a narrow palate, his speech can be affected. Good idea to consult w a speech pathologist.

Answered 5/1/2013

5.2k views