does it matter if i bathe my children at night or in the mornings i used to bathe my first son at night. until he reached about 18 months. then it seemed like he would be hyper after his baths at night. he is now 2 years and i have another that 2 1/2 mont

Dr. Willa Terry
I : I think that it depends on the age of the child. For toddlers, preschoolers and any elementary aged child who needs help getting dressed in the mornings (a particularly hectic time for families), i think that an evening routine that endorses a family dinner, bath, pajamas, teeth brushing, and a good night story is preferable. For older children and teens that are independent in their hygiene habits, sometimes a morning shower “wakes them up” and gets them ready for the day. However it is most important for you to do what works best for your immediate family. In this case i think the saying "if it is not broke, don't fix it" applies.
Dr. Cindy Williams
Bathing: It doesn't matter when you bathe your child. Many parents choose evenings because the child has had the whole day to get dirty. Also, with many working parents, this is the most convenient time. Do what works best for you. If he becomes hyper, try other ways to relax him, like a book. Establish a nighttime ritual, so your child learns and recognizes the process of getting ready for bed.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016