U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old male asked:

Do i need medication for these #s tc-236 hdl-42 trg-194 ldl-156 non-hdl-195 tc\hdl 5.7 bmi-30.2 male 45 years, old 6'2" 230 lbs, history of heart disease in the family. i was diagnosed with ischemic cardio miopathy (enlargement of the left ventricle) my e

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Shanes
Cardiology 46 years experience
Based : Based on your history these numbers are very dangerous. Yor LDL should be below at least 100 and i would say below 70. Since your triglycerides are high your LDL particle size is probably type b... The small kind, even more dangerous. Yor HDL is the least of the problems but the higher the better. Yoe need to see a doctor who will get your lipids under control.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. William Cromwell
Clinical Lipidology 35 years experience
Yes & check LDL-P: You will need to be treated. The best indicator of response is another measure of LDL and HDL quantity - LDL and HDL particle number (ldl-p and hdl-p). When tg is high and hdl-c is low it is common to have high ldl-p and low hdl-p. Treat additional contributing factors (sugar, thyroid, kidney problems), optimize diet / exercise, and use medication as needed to get to low ldl-p (<1000).
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.