A member asked:

Is there really any fix for tmj displacement and hypertrophy of the pterygoid? or will i be stuck with this pain and a mouth that can't open forever?

11 doctors weighed in across 6 answers
Dr. Sal Aragona answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: Some joint displacement and pterygoid hypertrophy are the result of chronic nocturnal clenching. These nighttime events create tremendous muscle force and activity that can be at play. Find a dentist trained in treating tmd pain with a nti devise.

Answered 12/9/2013


Dr. Michael Gulizio answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Relief is possible: Treatment is available to return pterygoid muscles to a physiologically-neutral condition. In my practice, i will fabricate an orthotic that will help to "relax" the pterygoid muscles; in turn, the disc that sits in the TMJ will be relocated by to their normal position.

Answered 6/19/2015


Dr. Dominick Curalli answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Time will tell: The majority of TMJ problems are acute and resolve over time. Splint therapy, jaw exercises, medications and other treatment can be of enormous help. See a dentist or oral medicine specialist to help you determine what will work best for you.

Answered 10/4/2016


Dr. Duane Keller answered

Specializes in

Probably dislocated: The pterygoid does not cause a joint problem. The ball of the joint may be too far up and back in the socket, causing the cartilage to be distorted and / or dislocated. See if you can find someone that can help you find a stable joint position and then treat to that position. If the joint pops into place when you open you have a good chance you can recover a more normal function.

Answered 1/26/2013


Dr. Gary Lederman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: A bite appliance that allows the disc to be recaptured and maintained in the correct position will allow for pain reduction, for the muscles to relax and for improved function and range of motion. These conditions are related as the pterygoid is attached to the disc. Recovery is possible without surgery.

Answered 6/7/2013


Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Most are helped: Most patients with TMJ can be helped. Comples problems. See a TMJ expert. Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

Answered 3/20/2015



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor