I can't open my mouth wide, when i do i hear a clicking sound in the right tmj....and it pains?

7 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

TMJ disorder: You having an anterior disk displacement with reduction at the moment. The minscus or the disk between the lower and the upper jaws at the TMJ is anterior lay displaced .That is why you are guarding when you open your mouth .But when you fully open it the disk goes back to it's normal position . This is when you hear the click and feel the pain.Get a checkup by a TMJ dentist.

Answered 6/10/2014

4.2k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Classic TMJ symptoms: The classic triad of symptoms joint pain, limited oral opening and joint noises. See an oral & maxillofacial surgeon for evaluation.

Answered 3/18/2015

3.1k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

TMJ dysfunction: is characterized by jaw pain, clicking and popping of the jaw, neck pain and often headaches. It is advisable to discuss any TMJ/TMD symptoms with your dentist.

Answered 7/1/2015

2.6k views