Philippines

can you suggest me some home remedy for tmj? because my jaw is in little pain and i can't open my mouth widley. please help me. thankyou

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
TMJ: Until you see a dentist for a proper evaluation and appropriate treatment, if necessary: soft diet, no gum chewing, try not to yawn or scream, good posture, hot moist towel to the outside of your face just in front of your ears for 10-20 minutes four times a day and Aleve, (naproxen) Advil, Motrin or aspirin for 2-3 days.
Dr. Stephen Rothstein
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Jaw: Soft diet, warm compresses and ibuprofen all help but you should see an oral surgeon for a complete exam
Dr. Keith Hollander
Dentistry 36 years experience
Home care is a start: Most "TMJ" issues are muscular in origin. If you are especially tight in the morning then start the day with a hot shower concentrating the warmth on the side or sides that seem particularly tight. the heat increases the circulation and relaxes the muscles. You are probably clenching or grinding at night. Minimizing stimulants before bed can help. Some might recommend a glass of red wine.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
A few ideas.: Self treat with soft diet, jaw exercises, massage, heat/cold, OTC pain meds.

Last updated Mar 19, 2015