i had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. i am in my 8th week recovering. i still feel very sore at the base of my hand. is this normal?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Steven Zaretsky
36 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Normal: This is part of the normal healing process. Some patients after carpal tunnel release can develop pillar pain that can take up to 12 months to resolve.
Answered on May 2, 2018
6
Dr. Shon Cook
Dr. Shon Cook answered
17 years experience Neurosurgery
Endoscopic or open?: It depends. If you had the traditional open decompression, then that is normal. On average, it takes 3 to 6 months to fully heal. If you had it done endoscopically like I do it, with no incision on the hand, then most are fully back to work without restrictions within a few days, and fully healed in a few weeks. So in short, it depends mostly on who did your surgery, and how it was done.
Answered on Apr 29, 2017
1
3
Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Adam Lewis commented
35 years experience Neurosurgery
Occupational therapy after surgery can help speed recovery. Ask you surgeon if you are a candidate for postoperative therapy for your hands.
Jun 12, 2014
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
35 years experience Hand Surgery
Can be: Other things such as arthritis at th base of the thumb, or irritation from prolonged dependency on splints may be suspect as well.
Answered on Nov 30, 2012