Gold dental fillings: are they safe for a child?

Dr. Idelle Brand
Dentistry 41 years experience
Yes and no.: That would not be my first choice. Holistically speaking, you might do better with a white composite, bpa free.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Howard Banner
Dentistry 49 years experience
Yes, but why?: Gold fillings are the most biocompatable of all the materials we use in the mouth. However, they are also the most expensive. If they are being done on a baby tooth that is going to fall out, it may not be the most economical thing to do.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
Would not recommend: I have done gold restorations for over 30 years. I would not consider placing one in a child's mouth. They are not conservative in nature, and i would want to conserve as much tooth structure as possible for a child with a long future ahead.
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dentistry 44 years experience
Yes 4 adult teeth: Gold fillings are considered by most restorative dentist to be the ideal filling material, but the current market price of gold makes it an impractical restorative material for a baby tooth that will be lost as an adult. It would be ideal for an adult tooth if cost wasn't a factor and the child could handle that a gold filling requires additional steps to fabricate.