My sgpt is 123 and my sgot is 79 is this serious . my doctor advised me to stop drinking for a month . is it ok to limit the amount of alcohol in moderation? i meancut way back

Dr. Claude Parola
Could be dangerous: You should follow your doctor's advise and stop the drinking , continued drinking will probably damage your liver more.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
One of the signs that a person has an alcohol problem is that they continue to drink when it is likely to be causing harm. The very fact that you want to continue ANY amount of alcohol in the face of possible liver damage greatly concerns me. I would strongly suggest talking to your doctor about seeing a counselor.
Dec 7, 2012
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Stop!!!!: If you are being poisoned, would you advise taking less poison or stopping poison altogether? Your liver is inflamed, and the pattern of inflammation is suggestive of alcohol. These numbers are not alarming, but if liver cells continue to be inflamed, over time it can lead to scarring and cirrhosis. The fact that you still want to drink indicates a problem to me. Talk to your doctor&a counselor.
Pathology 44 years experience
Thanks Dr. Wartenberg!
Feb 1, 2014

Last updated May 19, 2016