at how many weeks into gestation is the palate completely formed?

Dr. Mark Bornfeld
Dentistry 45 years experience
By 12th week: It depends on what you mean by "completely formed", because the mouth continues to develop after birth. But in human embryonic development, the palate develops early. The hard palate (premaxilla and palatal shelves) fuse at about week 9 gestational age, and the soft palate has fused by week 10 to 12.
Dr. steven Present
Dentistry 43 years experience
Between the 9 and 10: The palate is usually completely formed by the ninth or tenth week. The lips a few weeks sooner.
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Buianswered
Dentistry 23 years experience
9 weeks: The development of the secondary palate begins in week 6 of embryological development. It is characterized by the formation of two palatal shelves (week 7) on the maxillary prominences, the elevation of these shelves to a horizontal position, and then a process of palatal fusion between the horizontal shelves (week 9). The shelves then fuse anteriorly with the primary palate to form hard palate.