What articles of my clothing will be removed for my dermatology appointment for acne?

7 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Kris Gast answered

Dermatology exam: Well first it will depend on where your acne is on your body...but essentially you will be there to get help from the dermatologist, so you will need to communicate what you feel comfortable to him or her.Every doctor really should ask your permission to examine you.If you are uncomfortable you and your doctor will not make a very good team.

Answered 11/23/2014

5.7k views

Shirt : Acne occurs on the face, chest and back. At the minimum, you will remove your shirt (leaving your bra on if you are a woman). Most dermatologists perform a full body skin exam at the first visit. We look for atypical moles and skin cancers that you may have not noticed on your own. This involves removing most items of clothing doing this discreetly in a comfortable environment.

Answered 10/8/2020

5.7k views

All: You could have a total skin exam if wanted otherwise it will be face, chest, back, shoulders, and upper arms.

Answered 10/8/2020

5.7k views

Depends: If the acne is confined to your face then you won't need to remove any clothing. If the acne involves the chest and back then you will need to remove your shirt. Sometimes the lower body is involved so then you may need to remove all your clothes.

Answered 10/4/2016

4.9k views