My 2 year old has had a cough and fever of 102 for over a week now. antibiotics and cough meds not working. cbc and chest xray clear. what now?

Dr. Nela Cordero
VIRAL INFECTION ?: Hyperpyrexia with cough for 1 week. Negative CBC and chest xray. If the child is eating and fever goes down with antipyretic, he is playful, most probably it is viral infection lasting for a week. He will start to recover. If he gets worse, your md is there to help you.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Workup, M.D. visit: There are many causes of prolonged fever for more than 5 days. Some viral illnesses may result in inflammation in the lung, and then a second infection can result in pneumonia. Given that he has been treated with antibiotics and continues to have a cough/fever I would suggest a chest x ray and visit to his pediatrician.

Last updated Oct 18, 2014