is an ekg and echocardiogram the same?

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Cardiology 55 years experience
No: Ekg looks at the electrical activity of the heart. Echocardiogram is an ultrasound, shows a moving picture of the heart.
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Cardiology 32 years experience
Different: Ekg (electrocardiogram) refers to a graph of the electrical activity of the heart. Echocardiogram refers to ultrasound test which allows to actually see the structure and function of the heart.
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Cardiology 51 years experience
ECHO: Echocardiogram uses sound waves to image the heart. Ecg records the electrical signals from the heart they are different data sets.
Dr. Adam Lowry
Specializes in Pediatrics
Very different...: An ekg (or "ecg") is a visual representation of the electrical activity of the heart, on paper. An echocardiogram is a set of images or videos the represent the structure and function of the heart based on sound waves. They are very different and often used to complement each other in the evaluation of possible cardiac problems.
Dr. Frank Amico Jr
No: An EKG is not an echocardiogram. An echo uses ultrasound to see the heart.