New York, NY

my upper endoscopy showed everything normal except mild gastritis...no h. pylori. i have acid reflux and take omeprazole. why gastritis?

Dr. Philip Miller
Why not?: gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Omperazole inhibits acid secretion- it is a good choice.
Dr. Shaban Faruqui
Specializes in Gastroenterology
False -ve H.P common: Worldwide the most common cause of gastritis is H. pylori infection. .Recent studies using histology alone in select patients have suggested that H. pylori-negative gastritis may be common.These data suggest that H. pylori is a possible pathogen for duodenal ulcer by duodenal colonization probably via gastric metaplasia.The use of PPIs masks H. pylori infection, increase intestinal metaplasia.