U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 22-year-old female asked:

I've been in therapy since last year for anxiety. would i need to see a psychiatrist? he mentioned a referral if i need long term medication.

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
Since you have PTSD : & an anxiety disorder, it is likely that adding appropriate medications to your Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for anxiety& psychotherapy for PTSD will be beneficial. Effective therapies for PTSD are on http://psychcentral.com/lib/treatment-of-ptsd/000665. Seek medical check-up from your primary physician + any baseline lab studies needed, depending on the medication & referral to a psychiatrist.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Nov 28, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.