U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old female asked:

Hi there i have been on anxiety medication called paxil for almost a year. my gp prescribed it to me but i'm wondering if i should see a psychiatrist. the biggest issue is also affording it. what should be my next step? i still suffer quite a bit

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 34 years experience
Can try online: If cost is a big issue, and if a patient is already improved on a single anxiety drug, then she can try looking for a psychiatrist (MD) or psychologist (PhD) online, such as on HealthTap's Concierge premium service. Availability varies by location. Psychiatric drugs are usually not prescribed online, but counselling can be done online. Psychologists are not MD's and don't prescribe drugs anyway.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 30, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.