i have adenomyosis. is that the same as endometriosis?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine 19 years experience
No: There is normally hormonally active tissue in the middle of the uterus which causes you to get a menstrual period. When that tissue gets into the muscle of the uterus that is adenomyosis. When it gets outside the uterus (or on the outer surface) that is endometriosis.
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Gynecology 43 years experience
Adenomyosis and endometriosis are similar in that they both are composed of glands like those that normally line the cavity of the uterus, but the glands of adenomyosis are in the wall of the uterus and the glands of endometriosis are outside the uterus. In both cases, the glands "bleed" and become inflamed during menstrual periods.
Nov 21, 2011
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Cousins: Both conditions often coexists in the same patient. In endometriosis tissue that resembles endometrium is ectopic or out of the uterus into other pelvic organs like the ovaries and appendix. In adenomyosis the endometrium is within the uterus but buried into the muscular layer of the womb causing symptoms of pain and excess menstruation. See arrows in this mri.