U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 20-year-old member asked:

I have adenomyosis. is that the same as endometriosis?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine 21 years experience
No: There is normally hormonally active tissue in the middle of the uterus which causes you to get a menstrual period. When that tissue gets into the muscle of the uterus that is adenomyosis. When it gets outside the uterus (or on the outer surface) that is endometriosis.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Gynecology 45 years experience
Adenomyosis and endometriosis are similar in that they both are composed of glands like those that normally line the cavity of the uterus, but the glands of adenomyosis are in the wall of the uterus and the glands of endometriosis are outside the uterus. In both cases, the glands "bleed" and become inflamed during menstrual periods.
Nov 21, 2011
Dr. Luis Gonzalez
Obstetrics and Gynecology 41 years experience
Cousins: Both conditions often coexists in the same patient. In endometriosis tissue that resembles endometrium is ectopic or out of the uterus into other pelvic organs like the ovaries and appendix. In adenomyosis the endometrium is within the uterus but buried into the muscular layer of the womb causing symptoms of pain and excess menstruation. See arrows in this mri.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 30, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.