U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old member asked:

After i had a hysterectomy, i was told that i had adenomyosis. is that different from endometriosis?

3 doctor answers18 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Obstetrics and Gynecology 23 years experience
Yes it is different: Adenomyosis is when there are glands from the lining of the uterus up inside the wall of the uterus. Endometriosis is when these cells and glands from the lining of the uterus are growing outside the uterus. Adenomyosis is a common cause of heavy periods.
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 37 years experience
Nice summary
Nov 13, 2011
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Specializes in Gynecology
Yes and no. Many endometriosis experts look at adenomyosis and endometriosis of the uterus. They have a common theme - endometrial tissue growing somewhere it isn't supposed to. That said, adenomyosis is quite common in women who have had children. Endometriosis is less common.
Nov 18, 2011
Dr. Neeoo Chin
Fertility Medicine 41 years experience
Yes: Adenomyosis is where the menstrual tissue is found growing in the muscle wall of the uterus, and can be usually diagnosed only after the uterus has been surgically removed. It can cause uterine pain, heavy menstrual flow and enlarged soft doughy findings on exam. Endometriosis is where the tissue is found anywhere out side of the uterus, like pelvis (ovaries, bladder), lungs, and possible brain.
Dr. Lee Ann Roberts
Gynecology 42 years experience
adenomyosis is common but little-known and understood
Nov 10, 2011
Dr. Michael Fox
Fertility Medicine 35 years experience
Adenomyosis: Probably all patients with endometriosis also have adenomyosis. Yet some with adenomyosis probably don't have endometriosis, acquiring it through obstetrical delivery when endometrial tissue could be forced into the muscle of the uterus due to high pressure of contractions. Many endo patients never have significant problems with adenomyosis and suppression of cycles with birth control may prevent.
Last updated Jan 1, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.