I can't focus on my work due to mild anxiety. is there a link between smoking cessation and anxiety? i know it's harmless but what can be done to stop

Dr. Adam Front
Clinical Psychology 29 years experience
Quitting smoking: Congrats 4 wanting to quit, that's the1st step. List pros & cons of quitting & pros & cons of smoking. Nicotine anonymous & smoking cessation programs offer support & education. Patch, gum & e-cigs keep you addicted to nicotine (i don't recommend). Cravings for nic last 3-5 mins, and if you can breathe, take a walk, chew carrots or otherwise distract yrself it will pass & gets easier over time.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Duncan m.d.
Way to go! BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU ASK. Many busy doctors hear anxiety and think (catch up on my schedule), write an Rx for Xanas or similar drug and schedule next visit and bill you. You end up trading one drug addiction for another. You are dealing with Habit and Addiction. If the cravings are significant, walk to the furthest bathroom or your car. Walk quickly, exercise relieves anxiety.
Sep 3, 2014
Dr. Christian Mayaud
Hospital-based practice 37 years experience
Many consider heavily nicotine dependent smokers to be really just self-medicating their underlying anxieties and emotionally ups and downs. This is why successful quitting is often coupled with lifestyle changes than tend to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation.
Dec 31, 2014
Dr. Thomas Knecht
33 years experience
It varies: Hi. First of all, let me congratulate you on making one of the wisest decisions in your life...to quit smoking. Quitting can provoke anxiety, depending on the individual. Bupropion has been shown to help; talk with your doc about this. I will prescribe ANYTHING that works to get my patients to quit. Chantix helps the quitting as well; probably helps the anxiety as well. You've done a wise thing!
Last updated Dec 31, 2014