I am 59 years old and had a bad case of oral thrush in my throat this winter. for the first time in my life have developed dry mouth are they related?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Henry Jacobs answered

Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology

Maybe: thrush is fungal and dry mouth may be related to diabetes as can fungal infections. lower your carb intake and also get tested for glucose levels and hemoglobin A1c

Answered 8/9/2014

3.8k views

Dr. William Winget answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Dry mouth= problems: Dry mouth is usually referred to as xerostomia. (low salive) It can be a side effect of menopause. It is usually due to medications used to treat blood pressure and depression. It can definitely promote yeast in the mouth resulting in thrush. Your dentist can push you in the right direction in order to combat dry mouth and find out why you are having problems with it.

Answered 9/8/2014

3.8k views

Dr. Kristin Outlan answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Other medications?: I have encountered many patients that use inhalers that develop chronic thrush due to not rinsing out their mouths after use. Even with denture wearing patients using the inhalers and not cleaning the dentures properly

Answered 8/9/2014

3.8k views