what happens if my orthodontist said i'll need jaw surgery to close my open bite, but the braces close my open bite fully do i still need jaw surgery?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Donna Galante
36 years experience Orthodontics
Maybe not: Open bite problems can be treated without jaw surgery successfully so it is highly possible that you may not need the surgery after all. You and your orthodontist will make the final decision on whether your case will be stabel without the surgery.
Answered on Jul 23, 2014
1
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Wonderful!: What needs to be done now is a period of observation without vertical force components to asses the stability of the open bite closure. If your open bite was dental, you may be OK. If it was skeletal, expect to see some relapse. Talk to your Orthodontic Specialist, the practitioner who knows your case best.
Answered on Aug 4, 2014
Dr. Robert Douglas
50 years experience Orthodontics
No: As your jaws have stopped growing, if the orthodontist was able to close your bite successfully, you have achieved your goal without surgery.
Answered on Sep 10, 2016