Barnesville, OH

Is it okay to eat less than 6 hours before my wisdom teeth surgery? i have to get it done today because this is my second appointment but i am hungry

Dr. Donovan Young
Dentistry 31 years experience
NPO if IV Sedation.: IT is best not to eat a heavy meal or drink alcohol prior to wisdom tooth surgery; A light meal is preferred. Some patients will become nauseated with the local anesthetic and or develop some anxiety during the procedure. Eating a light meal will prevent your blood sugar from spiking and you will tolerate the procedure better. Some patients cannot eat for a few hours following surgery because.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 38 years experience
No eating: Do not eat before your surgery. If you are planning on having sedatin for your surgery you cannot eat. Your oral surgeon or dentist should have given you directions. If you are not npbwing sedated then a very light meal is ok,
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 38 years experience
The simple rule: It depends on the type of anesthesia as to if you can eat before your surgery or not. The simple rule is if you are going to be sedated for the procedure, you must have nothing in your stomach for 6 hours. The reason for this is that sedatives may cause the patient to vomit. Good luck.