U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Loma Linda, CA
A 25-year-old female asked:

How to perform self examination on large breast? how to differentiate lumps in breast? is it better to get mammogram/ultrasound? 25 years old, 40d.

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Louis Cooper
Pediatrics 49 years experience
Depends: You should start with your doctor's exam. If you have lumps, and if you have any family history of breast cancer, let your doctor know. You may need both a mammogram and ultrasound. Please do not take chances.
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery 24 years experience
Change positions: Examining a larger breast requires laying down and examining and then rotating to the side and examining the deep areas. Practice is the only way to learn what your lumps feel like. I still advocate for breast self exam despite the data. When women stop coming to my office not finding their own lumps, then I will stop recommending it.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 34 years experience
Self exam: Try this link: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/self_exam/bse_steps Mammo screening should start at age 40, possibly earlier if you are at higher risk. Talk to your doctor about it.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.