Loma Linda, CA

How to perform self examination on large breast? how to differentiate lumps in breast? is it better to get mammogram/ultrasound? 25 years old, 40d.

Dr. Louis Cooper
Depends: You should start with your doctor's exam. If you have lumps, and if you have any family history of breast cancer, let your doctor know. You may need both a mammogram and ultrasound. Please do not take chances.
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery 24 years experience
Change positions: Examining a larger breast requires laying down and examining and then rotating to the side and examining the deep areas. Practice is the only way to learn what your lumps feel like. I still advocate for breast self exam despite the data. When women stop coming to my office not finding their own lumps, then I will stop recommending it.
Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology 34 years experience
Self exam: Try this link: http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/types/self_exam/bse_steps Mammo screening should start at age 40, possibly earlier if you are at higher risk. Talk to your doctor about it.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016