U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Cincinnati, OH
A 20-year-old female asked:

I got kicked in the shin while playing soccer & may have had shin splints. i now for two weeks have had bruising swelling pain. should i be worried?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Emanuel Winocur
Psychiatry 68 years experience
Yes, indeed: You need X-Ray and consult an Orthopedist' You may begin by consulting your Family Medicine Physician
Dr. Bryce Bederka
Sports Medicine 21 years experience
Shin bruise: If you were kicked hard enough then a bruise or swelling is normal. A fracture is a possibility, but that would most likely hurt when you stand on the leg. An X-ray would be a good idea, and you should start with your primary physician for that. Unless you do have a fracture there is little that an orthopedic consultation could do. This may take 6-8 weeks to completely resolve.
Dr. James Esch
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
You have a bruise: You have a bad bruise that should get well in another two weeks. Shin splints is from overuse.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jul 12, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.