Can you tell me are the invisalign braces worth it?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 55 years experience
Invisalign: Getting orthodontic treatment has many advantages- better aesthetics, better function, less dental decay and gum problems, better self esteem. Whether to get invisalign or conventional orthodontic treatment depends upon the specifics of your situation. I recommend you consult an orthodontist and not a general dentist who does orthodontic treatment. That is not to say some gd's can't do a great job.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Studies have shown Orthodontists produce >90% results w braces, <50% results w clear aligners. Know also studies have shown Orthodontists do Orthodontic Treatment faster and better than GPs because of years more training and total immersion in specialty care.
May 27, 2015
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 29 years experience
Depends: On what you value. If you want a beautiful smile but have a major aversion to wearing metal in your mouth, then yes. If you don't have any issues with metal braces, then they are likely a better value as far as costs and benefits.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Worth it?: Depends on whether you want great treatment or good treatment. Braces are still the gold standard, but there are many malocclusions that can be improved with clear aligners. See an Orthodontic Specialist for an initial exam (usually free) to determine if you are a clear aligner candidate or not.
Dr. Stuart Hoffman
31 years experience
Clear Aligners: Worth is a relative term. How much is vanity/esthetics worth to you? Only you can answer that question. There are some tooth movements that are NOT as easily performed with clear aligners vs traditional fixed braces. Speak to your orthodontic specialist to make that determination.
Dr. Howard Schneider
Pediatric Dentistry 35 years experience
That depends: Regular braces are attached to your teeth. They are harder to clean but you don't have to worry about losing them. Invisalign is removable. This makes cleaning your teeth easier, but if you lose them or forget to put them in they will not work. So which is better partially depends on the patient's personally. Also regular braces can correct some conditions that invisalign can not.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Depends: Know that, in the hands of fully trained orthodontic specialists, clear aligners are about half as effective as braces. In the hands of non-orthodontists the results are even less favorable. See an orthodontist for a qualified evaluation. Remember, everyone's different. Know that for my .Family i would tend to stay away from clear aligners.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 29 years experience
Subjective: I think all our patients would say yes and are VERY happy with the results, but you need to assess: 1) how much is a beautiful smile worth to YOU and 2) how important is it to you not to have metal in your mouth-- as traditional braces are typically faster and cheaper (and often slightly more effective)
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Definitely, yes: Invisalign aligners has quickly revolutionized the orthodontics world. Please consult your orthodontist to determine if Invisalign treatment is right for you.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
Vanity: Vanity has no price tag. As a cosmetic procedure for your overall good looks, it is one of the least expensive treatments to give you a terrific smile and good looks. You won't regret it.
Dr. Howard Spector
Orthodontics 41 years experience
Invisalign: Many adult patients are interested in treatment using invisalign tooth aligners because they are removable and transparent. In many cases, they are useful to align teeth to cosmetically and functionally acceptable positions. However, (clear or metal) braces are better for difficult cases as well as treatment that is needed to improve your bite and the way that your teeth fit and work together.
Dr. Don Millner
Dentistry - Cosmetic 44 years experience
Are you compliant?: Invisalign can be a better value than traditional orthodontics. They are esthetically pleasing and oral hygiene, especially flossing, is a breeze. While invisalign cannot be prescribed for all ortho issues, the greatest problem and the # 1 reason for failure is lack of compliance! if you cannot commit to wearing them at all times except eating and brushing / flossing you're tossing money away!
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 29 years experience
Dr. Don, please note that the other answers to this question, from orthodontists, not dentists, would all disagree on the "value" of invisalign. yes, invisalign is a great solution for some, and yes, value is a subjective term, but generally it is slower, less effective and more expensive than traditional braces. Additionally, even invisalign really should be treated by an orthodontist.
Jul 10, 2014
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Dr Baskin is correct. Invisalign often costs more, and is considerably less effective, resulting in post-treatment maintenance issues.
Nov 10, 2014
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 29 years experience
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Expectations: Depends on your expectations. Braces will do more, in less time, and at less cost. Clear aligners are less visible, but also less effective. Ask a fully qualified Orthodontist to help you make the right decision.