U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 47-year-old female asked:

I had gel breast implants (under muscle) in 2009, 1 is now noticeably smaller. could this be a rupture? is an mri scan the only way to be sure?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Russell Sparenberg
51 years experience
No: The MRI is the gold standard for evaluating gel breast implants for a possible rupture but are expensive and may not be covered by insurance. A less expensive way which might give the information would be an ultrasound. In any case you should see a board certified plastic surgeon to have this evaluated. Also, are you up to date on your mammograms?
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.