U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 46-year-old member asked:

Would you have a hand or vascular surgeon operate on you if your arm cut to the tendons?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Christopher Bulger
Vascular Surgery 24 years experience
Hand surgeon : While both specialities have the ability to do an arterial repair, tendon and nerve repair in the forearm and hand should be seen by a specialist.
Dr. Kirk Charles
Vascular Surgery 23 years experience
Hand: The hand surgeon has the expertise to treat the tendon and nerve injuries that are present. May not be any vascular injuries that a vascular surgeon needs to address. Sometimes both may operate or a hand surgeon may do it all.
Dr. Randy Hauck
Hand Surgery 40 years experience
Hand Surgeon: Hand surgeons are trained to repair anything that is injured in the hand from bones, to tendons, to arteries and veins, to nerves and skin. They may have had primary training in orthopaedics, plastic or general surgery and do extra training on just hand problems.
Last updated Mar 7, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.