taking 12.5mg chlorthalidone, but my potassium is 3.2meq/l. my pcp is not concerned, and dismisses it. i have resistant hypertension.

4 doctor answers
Dr. Donald Colantino
Low potassium: Although measurement of blood (extracellular) potassium doesn't necessarily measure the potassium within cells, i recommend taking a potassium supplement to keep your blood potassium to at least 3.4 especially when taking Chlorthalidone since we can't know your intracellular potassium level.
Answered on Oct 28, 2016
1
1
Dr. Clarence Grim
57 years experience Endocrinology
You need to be tested for primary aldosteronism. I specialize in this disease and happy to help guide you and team on this. Need to be off all meds for 6 weeks, then collect a 24 hr urine for Na,K and creat and have a blood renin and aldoserone measured. For more come to my Yahoo Group where we have over 1,000 people with you with low K and HTN. Name is [email protected]
Oct 28, 2016
Dr. Jack Rubin
48 years experience Nephrology and Dialysis
Low potassium: You need to speak to your pcp about two issues. One is your potassium (k) level ask the pcp to check your magnesium (m) level. Diuretics waste (k) an m) your k will not improve until your m does, so ask about both k and m supplements. At 60 you probably need more than one BP medication and ask your pcp to see if your resistant hypertension can be controlled with more BP medications. Good luck.
Answered on Nov 7, 2015
1
Dr. Kalyani Perumal
29 years experience Nephrology and Dialysis
Consult md: Check with your doctor to know the range of normal potassium in your labs. In certain labs, potassium of 3.2 is normal.If it is low as per your lab ranges, it needs to be corrected.
Answered on Sep 29, 2016
1
Dr. Clarence Grim
57 years experience Endocrinology
Low K on CTD: 61 F on chlorthalidone and has K of 3.2 and had "drug" resistant HTN. You need to be tested for Conn's Syndrome as this is the most likely cause of drug resistant HTN esp with low K. Testing is straight forward and I specialize in it. Recommend u consult with me for 2nd opinion and join the Yahoo group I have 4 people with this problem. It is hyperaldosteronism at Yahoo.com. >1,000 like you.
Answered on Nov 7, 2015
1