Could a gum graft help stable a loose tooth?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Sam Markzar answered

Specializes in Dentistry - Periodontics

Very unlikely. : If the looseness of the tooth, or teeth, are due to loss of bone supports around them, I am afraid that's the gum graft would be the last thing that you would need. The reason behind the looseness of the tooth or teeth needs to be established first. Gum grafts are mainly geared toward repair or regeneration of the gum tissues around the recessed teeth. They will not repair the bone

Answered 4/27/2015

4.7k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

Not likely: Unlikely. If a tooth is loose, it is probably severely periodontally diseased. The tooth probably needs to be extracted. If someone is recommending this, see an oral surgeon for second opinion.

Answered 4/27/2015

2.9k views

Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Probably not: The looseness is due to bone loss, not the gum tissue. Gum grafting my re-establish attached gingiva, but will not bring back lost bone. You may want to consider a dental implant. Discuss with your dentist.

Answered 4/28/2015

2.9k views