Australia

varicose veins on l leg with vein valve in groin not functioning. ran into something now bruise on thigh with throbbing pain down whole leg. worry?

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 47 years experience
Not to worry.: The malfunctioning valve probably has no relationship to the bruise and throbbing in your leg. The bruise is secondary to injuring the area and having some localized bleeding. This would also explain the throbbing. Heat to the area and tylenol (acetaminophen) should help. Malfunctioning (refluxing) valves can lead to venous insufficiency. You should see a vein specialist.
Dr. Daniel Para
Dr. Daniel Para commented
General Surgery 30 years experience
A vein specialist will evaluate your venous system with a Duplex ultrasound, then recommend therapy for any incompetent (refluxing) veins, usually treatments in the office under local anesthesia.
Dec 12, 2013
Dr. Haider Goussous
General Surgery 63 years experience
Ultra sound of leg: With ultra sound of the leg to r/o dvt, then the rest have to be treated sympyomatically.
Dr. Albert Malvehy
Phlebology 21 years experience
Compression socks: Wearing compression stockings can help until you can get your varicose veins dealt with. You also want to avoid superficial thrombophlebitis, a painful clot of the varicose vein. See a vein specialist.