U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Jackson, MS
A 52-year-old male asked:

Cirrhosis pt, always cold, told iron not good for me is there anything else i can use to build up my blood that wont hurt my liver?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Ed Friedlander
Pathology 46 years experience
Get the facts: Are you anemic or not? If you are, what is the cause? If you have chronic blood loss from upper GI bleeding, it is probably appropriate to supplement with iron unless your cirrhosis is due to hemochromatosis -- you'd know if it were and your doctor is competent. If you have anemia from some other cause, the cause needs to be addressed. Be proactive and demand to know what's really happening.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.